Stauffacher, Michael, Prof. Dr.
Autumn Semester 2017
|701-0015-00L||Transdisciplinary Research: challenges of interdisciplinarity and stakeholder engagement|
|701-1503-00L||The Transdisciplinarity Lab (TdLab) Winter School 'Science Meets Practice|
|701-1543-00L||Transdisciplinary Methods and Applications|
Position at ETH
- 2015 – today | Titularprofessor (Adjunct Professor), ETH Zürich
- 2015 – today | Senior Scientist, Climate Policy group (Prof. Patt), ETH Zürich
- 2015 – today | Coordinator of the Major Environmental Systems & Policy, ETH Zürich
- 2013 – today | Senior Scientist, Co-Director USYS TdLab, ETH Zürich
In my research I balance scientific excellence with societal relevance. My research has always a problem-focus, that means I start from a real-world problem, trying to disentangle its complexities by an integrative approach linking different disciplinary perspectives. Close interaction with societal actors is thereby of key importance, both in co-designing the research and co-producing knowledge throughout the whole process – an approach we denote as transdisciplinary research and that I develop further by conceptual and methodological contributions. My core problem fields are at the moment contested infrastructures like for instance, projects on deep geothermal energy, nuclear waste, river restoration and the nexus energy-climate change from the perspectives of urban development and rural energy community strategies.
Further academic positions
- Member Board of Directors Swiss Academy of Humanities and Social Sciences (SAGW/SAHS)
- President of SAGUF "Swiss Academic Society for Environmental Research and Ecology"
- Associate Professor Extraordinary (2011–2016) at the School of Management and Planning, Stellenbosch University